Egads, a recipe! I know, I am just as shocked as you are. But I made these little babies for a vegan Chinese New Year potluck hosted by Steph from Vegan About Town, and they were successful enough for a few people to ask for the recipe, which is always flattering, so here goes!
The original recipe I used can be found at the bottom of this post at Alien’s Day Out, but I tweaked it a little mainly due to some of the proportions being a bit vague, and also for the fact that my first batter mix stuck immediately to the bottom of my fry pan, causing me to frantically throw around flour until it righted itself. FLOUR FIXES EVERYTHING, KIDS!
Savoury Tofu Pancakes
You will need:
- 1 block firm tofu (I used a packet that clocked in at 900g worth, which I’ve just realised is an obscene amount of tofu and most probably my pan-sticking culprit. Feel free to downscale)
- 1 small onion
- 1 carrot
- 3 spring onions
- 1/2 green capsicum
- 1/2 red capsicum
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup plain flour (upgraded from original recipe’s 2/3 cup, feel free to adjust further if your batter ends up too wet to stick together)
- 1 tsp cornflour
- peanut oil for frying, with a few drops of sesame oil added if you’re feeling cheeky
1. Chop up the onion, carrot, and both capsicum halves into wee cubes, then slice up the spring onions into rounds.
2. Drain the tofu, then crumble up in a bowl. Add all the other ingredients and mix to combine.
3. Fry them babies! Add the oil to a frying pan and heat up over medium heat. Take small spoonfuls of batter and add to the pan, flattening them into little discs. They’re ready when they’re golden brown on each side.
This makes, well, I didn’t count, but a lot of little pancakes! I also just had the thought that if you really wanted to ramp up the savoury factor you could add a teaspoon or two of Massel’s “chicken” stock powder, because that stuff is powdered gold and makes everything extra delicious.
Also for other Chinese New Year inspired vegan treats, be sure to check out Catherine’s recipe for Golden Snake Bread – one of the most amazingly delicious breads I’ve ever tasted!